Happy Mother’s Day!!!
Mom is such
A special word
I’ve ever heard
A toast to you
Above all the rest
Mom you are so special
You are simply
THE BEST !!
For any mom, one of the best things you can do for your family is to give them a healthy meal daily, especially a nice Breakfast to kick-start their day. I put together this little recipe since it makes me really content and happy knowing that they are munching on something totally healthy and nutritious . You should definitely be able to use this batter for pancakes too. I typically make a huge batch of this on some weekends, store it in air tight containers in the fridge, and on busy weekdays I can simply reheat to serve a healthy breakfast to-go!
If you think that the remaining Wheat-germ, Flaxseed and Chia seeds are just going to gather dust in your pantry after you are done with this recipe, then here is another idea: check this recipe Healthy Indian Flat Bread (Roti) out where you can basically incorporate the same ingredients into your everyday meal.
I serve these waffles with quick and easy homemade Blueberry syrup that my daughter just loves. My freezer is always stocked with a big bag of frozen Blueberries as they are extremely good in muffins, pancakes, waffles, smoothies, yogurt..the options are endless!!!
Makes 7 Waffles (6.5inch)
2 C - Whole wheat Pastry flour
1/2 C - Wheat Germ
1/4 C - Flaxseed meal /powder
2 Tbsp - Chia seeds
1 Tsp - Baking soda
3 Tsp - Baking powder
1/4 Tsp - Salt
1/4 Tsp - Salt
2 Tbsp – Brown Sugar (or Regular Sugar)
2 - Egg
2 Tbsp (1/8 C) - Oil
1/2 Cup - Low fat or Fat free Buttermilk
1 Tsp - Vanilla
2 1/2 C – Low fat or Fat free Milk
- In a large bowl, add whole-wheat pastry flour, Wheat-germ, Flaxseed meal, Chia seeds, brown sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix all the dry ingredients well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and then add oil, buttermilk, vanilla and milk, and stir.
- Slowly mix in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until all ingredients are incorporated well.
- Heat the waffle griddle and spray a generous amount of oil
- Ladle batter into the waffle griddle and cook until waffles are crisp and golden.
- Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream cheese and Homemade Blueberry sauce (recipe below)
Homemade Blueberry Sauce with Honey
2 C - Wild Blueberry, Frozen
1/2 C – Honey
- Take a nonstick sauce pan
- Add frozen berries and honey and cook for 10 minutes or until you get your desired consistency
Notes and Tips
- Whole wheat pastry flour is milled from low-protein soft wheat, producing flour with a mellow 9% protein. It has low gluten content compared to whole wheat flour. Also known as Graham Flour.
- Where to buy? Check your grocery store first, especially in health food section. King Arthur Flour and Bob’s Red Mill are few of the brands that I have tried. You can buy it online from Amazon too
- You can substitute whole-wheat pastry flour for all-purpose flour in your recipe to make it healthier. If your family isn’t used to whole-wheat flour then substitute whole-wheat pastry flour for a quarter of the all-purpose flour that is called for in a recipe. Increase it over time.