December 2, 2010

Chicken Vegetable and Barley Soup

My daughter is down with a bad cold. She had a bad sleep last night and I feel so desperate to see her like this. One of the first few thoughts that came to my mind when I learnt that she has a cold was “What should I feed her?”....and the first thing that struck me was of course a warm bowl of chicken soup. I dint want to make a traditional chicken noodle soup for her. A few days ago I had a soup with barley in it and I had liked it. I did have barley in my pantry so I came up with recipe.
Yield:        8 cups

Ingredients

2 medium sized chicken breast diced
4 carrots
6 celery stalks
5oz frozen spinach
32oz chicken broth
½ Cup Barley
2 Garlic cloves
½,inch Ginger
½ Big Red Onion
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste

In a heavy bottom pan saute the onions, carrots and celery in Extra virgin olive oil. Add finely chopped garlic and ginger. Cook until the onions are just tender and translucent. Add the salt, pepper, spinach and barley. Add the chicken stock and cook on medium flame for 30-35 mins or until the barley is cooked.
Add lemon juice and soy sauce and cook for a min or two.

No comments :

Post a Comment

First of all thanks a lot for stopping by my space. I would be very happy to hear from you and would love to see your comments and feedback :)
Thanks a bunch,
Shema

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...