August 26, 2011

Mussles in White Wine sauce


Couple of years ago I happened to visit Iron Chef Michael Symon's restaurant here in Cleveland called Lolita to celebrate my husband's birthday. There I had a Mussel dish which was so rich in taste that the flavor still lingers. So that's the inspiration for this dish. I wanted to cook mussels in wine but wanted to introduce some Asian ingredients in it like ginger and cilantro.I started off the dish with browning some bacon... Yes, you are right..I used bacon..Come on...I too can splurge on a few extra calories some days.But hey - Its just 3 slices of bacon so its approximately just 180 calories and 60 cals from fat. I think I can deal with that. The bacon adds a smoky flavor to this dish which gives it a whole different twist!
We have this dish with sliced baguette toasted with olive oil, dunk it into the pool of mussels to soak up all the sauce. It is a fun meal at our family table.
Whenever I feel like eating seafood this is definitely one of my top safe few picks.

Serves 3

Ingredients

1 Lb - Mussels with shell
3 Slices - Bacon
1 1/2 Tsp - Ginger (finely minced)
3 Cloves - Garlic (crushed)
1/4 C - Red Onion (finely minced)
1/2 - Tomato (finely chopped)
1/2 Tsp - Chilly Powder
1 Tbsp - Hot sauce
3/4 C - White wine (I used Chardonnay)
3/4 C - Beef or Chicken Broth
1/4 Tsp - Lime Zest
Cilantro or Parsley for garnish

Directions

  • In a heavy bottomed pan brown some chopped bacon. 
  • Take out the bacon and reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon fat. 
  • To this add some finely chopped garlic, ginger and red onions. 
  • Add chilly powder followed by tomatoes. 
  • Cook the tomatoes until they are really soft almost like a sauce. 
  • Add hot sauce, chicken broth and wine. 
  • Add mussels and let it come to a boil and then simmer for another 6 minutes. 
  • Garnish with lime zest, finely chopped cilantro. 
  • Serve it with some sliced baguette toasted with olive oil.

NOTE:
My personal preference is to serve this dish at least an hour after it has been made so that you give the mussels ample time to soak up all the flavor from the sauce.

No comments :

Post a Comment

First of all thanks a lot for stopping by my space. I would be very happy to hear from you and would love to see your comments and feedback :)
Thanks a bunch,
Shema

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...