Who doesn't like a good Blueberry muffin for breakfast or as a snack? They are just so yummy and scrumptious! But its really hard to find a good one as the store bought ones are either too sweet and in some muffins you have to fish hard to find a real blueberry. When you 'google' for a nice blueberry muffin recipe you get hit with a ton of results but none that really make an impact. This recipe that I got from a blog is by far the best blueberry muffin that I have ever tasted - no kidding! You should give it a try and you'll know exactly what I am talking about.
This super moist muffin is rich in blueberries and has a crunchy lemon sugar topping which is absolutely unbelievable.
Makes 12 Muffins
Lemon Sugar Topping
1/3 C - Sugar
1 1/2 Tsp - Lemon Zest
1 C - Blueberries (Fresh or Frozen)
1 Tsp - Sugar
1 1/2 C - Blueberries (Fresh or Frozen)
1 1/8 C - Sugar
2 ½ C - All purpose flour
2 Tsp - Baking powder
1 Tsp - Salt
2 - Eggs
4 Tbsp - Unsalted butter (melted)
1/4 C - Oil
1 C - Buttermilk
1 ½ Tsp - Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a standard muffin tray with nonstick spray.
- Lemon Sugar Topping: Mix sugar and lemon zest together until evenly combined; set aside.
- Blueberry Sauce: Bring 1 cup blueberries and 1 teaspoon sugar to simmer in small non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Cook, mashing berries with a spoon several times and stirring frequently, until berries have broken down and mixture is thickened about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in large bowl.
- Beat 1 1/8 cups sugar and eggs together in medium bowl until thick.
- Slowly add in oil and butter until combined.
- Whisk in buttermilk and vanilla until combined.
- *If you are using frozen blueberries for the muffins, mix 1Tablespoon of flour to the berries. This prevents the berries from sinking to the bottom.
- Add flour mixture in batches, followed by the blueberries.The batter will be lumpy. Do not over mix.
- Divide batter equally among muffin cups.
- Spoon teaspoon of blueberry sauce into the center of each mound, pushing it below the surface.
- Using chopstick or a skewer, gently swirl berry mixture into batter.
- Sprinkle lemon sugar over muffins.
- Bake until muffin tops are golden and just firm, about 17-19 minutes.