Thank God for Fridays !! I love weekends as it is family time and my husband and I decided to dine at home this time, which is unusual for us on a Friday night. The very thought of dressing ourselves up on a rainy, chilly October night with jackets and the entire gear dissuaded us from stepping out. I guess we still have not accepted that winter is here :)
My husband was going to use some store-bought Rotisserie chicken lying in the fridge and his secret blend of ingredients to make his signature spicy pulled chicken dish while I decided to make a dish of Brussels sprouts . While he was shredding the chicken, I decided to quickly note down the recipe that I had in mind and almost immediately I hear a peculiar sound from the kitchen. I look up to see my husband trying to sharpen my favorite Carbon steel knife on the knife sharpener. I jump from my chair shouting 'oh no...don't do that.... !!!' Very innocently he asks 'Why not?' and I explain to him that the knife came with special instructions not to use it on a knife sharpener. OK, so one kitchen disaster almost averted and I come back to my chair to continue my writing and within a few minutes I see him heating the chicken in the microwave, in the plastic box in which it came in!!! I rush to the microwave and immediately take the chicken out as microwaving food in plastic could cause the chemicals from the plastic to leach into the food and is a strict NO NO unless you are sure its microwave-safe plastic. Well, after the few initial hiccups, what matters in the end is the food and the company, which was both awesome .The pulled chicken, Brussels sprouts, some fresh baked bread paired with a nice crisp Chardonnay made for a yummy sumptuous meal.
Coming back to the dish, it is a very simple preparation with steamed Brussels sprouts and a creamy white sauce with Pepper jack cheese. This dish is very quick and easy to make and most importantly the steaming process accentuates the nutritional benefits of Brussels sprouts.
1 Lb- Brussels sprouts
1/4 C- Onion
4 cloves - Garlic
1 C - Milk
1 1/2 Tbsp - All purpose flour
1/2 C - Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded
1/2 Tsp - Worcestershire sauce
Oil or Butter
- Rinse the Brussels Sprouts in water and cut them into quarters
- In a steamer, add some water and bring it to a boil then add the Brussels sprouts. Steam for 5 minutes. Keep the Brussels Sprouts aside.
- In a non-stick pan add oil, chopped garlic and onions and saute until the onions are translucent. Then add all-purpose flour and saute for 2 mins on medium simmer.This is done to cook the flour.
- Add milk, cheese,Worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt and keep whisking the mixture until it thickens.
- Pour the sauce on the steamed brussels sprouts
Notes and Tips
- To make this sauce rich you can substitute the oil with butter and use whole milk instead of skimmed milk
- After adding milk to the pan, you will have to stir continuously until the sauce has thickened, to avoid lumps of flour .
- You can add your favorite cheese in place of Pepperjack cheese.