Chicken Tikka Masala is a very popular Indian dish and is served in restaurants around the world. This dish is a wonderful combination of grilled chicken, marinated in yogurt sauce and served in a creamy tomato based tangy but spicy sauce.
For those weight-watchers out there, the comforting fact is that this version does not have heavy cream in it but tastes as good or even better than the regular version.
2 1/4 Lb - Chicken breast or split breast(Cut into bite-size pieces)
4 long skewers
1/2 C - Yogurt
1 1/2 inch - Fresh ginger
12 cloves - Garlic
1 1/2 Tsp - Chilly powder
1/2 Tsp - Turmeric powder
1/2 Tsp - Ground cumin/Jeera
2 Tsp - Coriander powder
1 1/2 Tsp - Dry Fenugreek (Methi) leaves
1/2 Tsp - Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 Tsp - Chat Masala
1/4 Tsp - Garam Masala
Salt to taste
For Tomato Gravy/Sauce
3Tbsp - Butter/Ghee or Oil
4 clove - Garlic, minced
1 1/2 C - Chopped Onion
2 1/2 C - Chopped Tomato
1/2 Tsp - Cumin powder/Jeera powder
1/4 Tsp - Turmeric powder
1 Tsp - Chilly powder
1 1/2 Tsp - Dry Methi/Fenugreek leaves
1 1/2 C - Whole Milk (*Refer Notes)
Salt, or to taste
1/4C - Chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp - Butter/ Ghee (optional)
- Grind ginger, garlic, chilly powder, cumin, black pepper, turmeric, chat masala, garam masala, salt, methi leaves and coriander powder in a blender with 3 tablespoons of yogurt.
- Add the paste to the rest of the yogurt and mix well.
- Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for atleast 1 hour.
- Preheat the grill on high heat.
- Lightly oil the grill grates. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear, about 5-6 minutes on each side. Do not over-cook as it will make the meat tough and rubbery
- Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Saute garlic and onion and cook until the onions are brown in color.
- Season with cumin, chilly powder, salt, turmeric.
- Crush the methi leaves between the palm of your hands and add it to the pan.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes loose their texture.
- Now transfer the cooked onion-tomato mixture to a blender and blend to make a sauce
- Transfer the sauce back to the pan and add whole milk.
- Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Add grilled chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- You can substitute whole milk with 1Cup heavy cream.
- You can substitute fresh chopped tomatoes with tinned tomatoes.
- You can grill the chicken tikka on a outdoor grill or stove top grill.