Similar to Broccoli, Cauliflower and Collards, Kale is a descendant of the wild cabbage. It is considered a super-food based on ANDI scores (Aggregate Nutrient Density Index score) and is in fact on the top of the list, therefore considered super healthy and nutritious!
The healthiest way to cook Kale is by steaming as this method helps retain maximum nutrition and flavor.
Why you should consider eating Kale more often?
- Steam-cooked Kale provides you with special cholesterol-lowering benefits
- Kale has been identified in lowering risk of at least five different types of cancer.
- Antioxidant-Related Health Benefits
- Anti-Inflammatory Health Benefits
- Cardiovascular Support
- Kale has a definite role to play in support of the body's detoxification processes.
Pachadi is a common traditional South Indian dish which can be made from a variety of vegetables like carrot, okra, bitter gourd, pineapple and so on. In the states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu, pachadi is typically made of cooked vegetables with yogurt seasoned with curry leaves and mustard seeds.
Medium sized bunch - about 1/2 Lb - Fresh Kale
1 Tbsp - Lime Juice
1 1/2 C - Yogurt
Grind1/4 C - Coconut
2 - Green chilly
1/8 Tsp - Jeera / Cumin powder
1 Tsp - Mustard Seeds
Ginger Small Piece (approx 1 cm)
1/2 - Shallot/ Red Pearl Onion/ Kunjulli
Seasoning / Tadka
1/2 Tsp - Mustard seeds
1 - Shallot (thinly sliced)
2 - Dry Red Chilly
- Rinse Kale leaves under cold running water. Chop leaf portion into 1/4" slices and the stems into 1/8 " lengths for quick and even cooking.
- To get the most health benefits from Kale, let sit for a minimum of 5 minutes before cooking. Sprinkling with lemon juice before letting them sit can further enhance its beneficial phytonutrient concentration.
- Fill the bottom of a steamer pot with 2 inches of water.Once the water starts boiling add the Kale to the steamer and steam for 5 minutes or until tender. Keep the cooked Kale aside
- Grind the coconut, green chilly, Jeera, Mustard seeds, ginger and shallots together in a blender to make a smooth paste.
- Splutter some mustard seeds in a pan with some oil. Add curry leaves, shallot and dry red chilly.
- Add cooked Kale to the pan. Add ground coconut paste and yogurt and cook for not more than 2 mins. Overheating will cause the yogurt to curdle.
- The healthiest way of cooking Kale is by steaming, for maximum nutrition and flavor.
- If you dont have a steamer you can cook Kale on stove-top
- After adding the yogurt to the pan do not cook for long as this could cause the yogurt to curdle