A perfect combo of simplicity and deliciousness. The best part is that this recipe does not need any proofing, in other words, you do not have to wait for the dough to rise before baking, since yeast is not part of the process. All you do is mix the dough and bake it right away. Another reason I love this recipe is that you can keep it light on fat by using fat free buttermilk. Now that's what I would call an easy and fool-proof recipe :)
This bread is good the next day too and I just have it with some butter and jelly or cream cheese. The texture of this bread is also pretty impressive and this one is well worth a try.
Recipe adapted from Bob's Red Mill
1 cup - All-purpose flour
2 cups - Whole wheat flour
1/4 cup - Sugar
1 Tsp - Salt
2 Tsp -Baking soda
2 cups - Fat free buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Lightly grease 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve baking soda in buttermilk. Stir buttermilk into flour mixture. Mix well.
- Place dough into prepared pan
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes - 1hour.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.