December 2, 2011

Coconut Cilantro Chutney


A very simple chutney recipe that goes well with Dosa, Vada or Idly. You might think I am truly naive to be posting a chutney recipe since most south Indians know how to make a coconut chutney, but then this recipe has ginger, shallots and cilantro, which does make a difference. 
During one of my visits to my grandmother's, as a kid, she served this chutney with hot dosas and even though I was a very picky (read "poor") eater, that day I ended up gobbling quite a few dosas just because the Chutney was too good! My mom immediately got the recipe from my grandma and this has become one of our favorite chutney recipes ever since! 




Ingredients 

To grind 
1 1/2 Cup - Fresh Coconut
3 Tsp - Fresh ginger, chopped
1 Tbsp - Chutney Dhal
1/2 Cup - Chopped Cilantro
1 - Small Shallot
1 1/2 - Fresh Lime Juice
5 - Green Chilly
Salt
3/4 Cups - Water
For Tadka/ Seasoning 
2 - Dry Red Chilly
1/2 Tsp - Black Mustard Seeds
1 twig - Curry leave
Coconut Oil

Directions 
  • Grind coconut, ginger, cilantro, shallot, lime juice, green chilly,chutney dhal, salt and water together in a blender. 
  • In a heavy-bottom pan splutter some mustard seeds and then add the dry red chilly and curry leaves. Saute it for 1-2 minutes 
  • Add the ground coconut mixture to the pan. Cook for 1 minute. Don't overcook the coconut. 






3 comments :

First of all thanks a lot for stopping by my space. I would be very happy to hear from you and would love to see your comments and feedback :)
Thanks a bunch,
Shema

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...