March 18, 2012

Steamed Mango Muffin

The life of a food blogger is indeed laborious and challenging but fun. First, you have to get the food prepared right, then you have to get the recipe flawless and finally you have to shoot pictures that are good enough to make people drool ;) !!!! lol !!! 
Today I managed to take some decent pictures (I think...) and I published one on Facebook before actually posting the recipe, just to make everyone guess what was coming up. It was real fun to read the comments and I think the pumpkin liners really confused some :) 

This muffin is a subtly flavored mango spongy cake with a hint of lemon. You can definitely try out the different variations I have listed below or try your own flavors and combos. Go crazy and surely let me know how they turn out!!!  


Yields : 6 Muffins

Ingredients
2 Eggs
1/2 C - Sugar
2/3C - Sweetened Mango puree
1 Cup - All purpose flour
1 1/4 Tsp- Baking powder
1/8 Tsp - Baking Soda
3 Tbsp - Vegetable oil
1 tsp - Lemon or Lime Zest
Few Fresh Mango pieces for garnish (optional)

Directions

  • Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda and keep it aside.
  • Beat the eggs and sugar well for 3 minutes.
  • Add mango puree and oil and mix well.
  • Gently fold in flour mixture in batches.
  • Pour the prepared batter into ramekins lined with cupcake liners. Add the fresh mango pieces on top (optional)
  • Steam over high heat for 15mins or until the inserted toothpick come out clean.
Steamed muffin variations:
  1. Nutella
  2. Strawberry preserves or any fruit jelly/jam
  3. Banana (mashed)
  4. Orange
Notes and Tips
  • Please make sure you place the cup cake liners in a ramekin to retain the shape else you will end up with disfigured muffins :) Yes it happened to me the first time I made them
  • You can even make them in a pressure cooker.
  • You can try any variations listed above




12 comments :

  1. Hi Shema Good recipe :) I just tried this with bananas and vanilla and it came out well. Usually I bake (try to bake), but steaming is a nice idea and I'll be trying this with pumpkin too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome recipe shema!!!! very good 7 easy. i will definitely try it next week!!! btw, can i use a steamer since i have one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! lovely recipe, Shema..very different, and a great snap!
    Sona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shema,
    Lovely ! wonderful !
    The pictures are really mouth watering !
    I was abt to take mangoes out of my fridge , but I was disappointed to know that I need to add eggs.. .
    We are vegetarians...Do u have any eggless steam cake recipe ?
    Waiting to hear from you...
    BTW, I loved your blog.. good idea!

    Manju Viswam

    ReplyDelete
  5. never tried steaming a cake. does it turn out nice and moist like a baked one? this sure looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Instead of sweetened mango puree can we use fresh mango juice

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would suggest you use fresh mango puree, which would be thicker than fresh juice

    ReplyDelete
  8. When do u add egg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recipe! The cakes are moist & tasty!

    ReplyDelete

First of all thanks a lot for stopping by my space. I would be very happy to hear from you and would love to see your comments and feedback :)
Thanks a bunch,
Shema

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...