This recipe has been in my special stash for quite a few months but when I recently laid eyes on this adorable pink plate (shown in the pictures), I fell in love with it and knew rightaway that this plate and these delish muffins were the right poetic combination that just had to come together.
Recipe adapted from here
Yields 12 muffins
For Cream Cheese Filling
4 ounces - Cream cheese
1/3 cup - Sugar
1/2 - Egg (about 2 Tbsp. beaten)
1/4 Tsp - Vanilla extract
For Streusel Topping
1/4 cup - All purpose flour
1/4 cup - Sugar
1/2 Tsp - Ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp - Firm unsalted butter
1 Cup - Whole milk
1/4 Cup - Oil
1 - Egg
2 cup - All purpose flour
1/2 cup - Sugar
2 Tsp - Baking powder
1/2 Tsp - Salt
2 cups - Strawberries, cut into small pieces
Cream cheese filling
- Beat the Cream cheese, sugar, egg and Vanilla in a small bowl and mix until smooth, set aside.
- Combine the flour, sugar and Cinnamon in a small bowl and cut in the butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs; set aside
- Preheat the oven to 400 F
- Whisk together the milk, oil, egg and sugar.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and stir into the milk mixture. Be careful not to over mix (the batter will be slightly lumpy)
- Spoon a tablespoon of the muffin batter into each cup
- Add a sprinkle of the Strawberry pieces
- Add a tablespoon of the Cream cheese filling,
- Add another tablespoon of the muffin batter followed by another sprinkle of the Strawberry pieces and on top a final sprinkle of the Streusel topping.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes (at 400F), let cool in pan for about 5 minutes and serve slightly warm.
Notes and Tips
- These muffin need refrigeration
- Serving them slightly warm is the best