October 3, 2012

Shepherd's Pie with Ginger and Green Chilly


What a great way to welcome the beautiful season of Fall, with this comforting, satisfying and really delectable Shepherd's Pie. I believe my version of this recipe is relatively healthy - with the lean ground turkey and a combination of colorful vegetables. I use some ginger and green chilies here which is unique and is definitely an influence owing to my Indian background.

Shepherd's Pie is a layered meat pie with a topping of fluffy, creamy mashed potatoes, covering succulent hot minced meat and vegetables! 

A traditional Shepherd's Pie is made with minced lamb. A similar pie prepared with ground beef is called a Cottage pie. Whatever you want to call them, Shepherds pie or Cottage pie, it simply is the ultimate in comfort food. 



The last time when I went to India, my mom and I made this together. We had used minced beef. Cooking with mom is always fun and of course the compliments from your dad always make you happy !!

This will be defiantly a hit with your guest if you make this as individual pies in ramekins.




Yields – 8*10 inch tray
Ingredients

1 ½ lb – Lean ground turkey (Refer notes)
½ Cup - Onion, chopped
1 ½ Cup – Carrot, chopped
1 ½ Cup – Cabbage, chopped
1 ½ Cup – Celery, chopped
2 Tablespoon – Ginger, minced
4 Tablespoon – Garlic, minced
1 Tsp – Fresh Thyme, minced
1 Tsp – Fresh Oregano, minced
4 - Green chilly
2 Tablespoon - Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon – Ketchup
Salt and Pepper to taste
Oil

6 - Big potatoes, boiled and mashed
3/4 Cup – Milk
1 ½ Cup – Grated cheese, divided (I used Havarti, Parmigiano Reggiano and Sharp Cheddar)
Salt

Directions
For vegetables
  • Heat some oil in a saute pan and add onions followed by 1 tablespoon ginger, 1 tablespoon garlic and chopped green chilly
  • Add the carrots, celery, cabbage and saute for a few mins.
  • Season with salt and pepper
  • Take off the heat and keep aside
For meat
  • Heat some oil in a saute pan and add 1 tablespoon ginger, 3 tablespoon garlic 
  • Add the ground turkey or any meat of your choice
  • Mix in Worcestershire sauce and Ketchup
  • Add thyme and oregano and season with salt and pepper
  • Take off the heat and keep aside
  • When the meat is cooked, add the sauteed vegetables and mix everything together. Take off the heat and keep aside
For mashed potatoes
  • Pressure cook the potatoes and peal and mash them
  • In a non stick sauce pan add the mashed potatoes and milk and 1 cup cheese
  • As soon as the cheese melts take it off the heat
Assembly
  • Add the meat and vegetable mixture at the bottom of the pan
  • Top it with mashed potatoes
  • Add 1/2 cup of cheese as garnish
  • Bake in the oven at 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown (about 30 minutes). Broil for last few minutes if necessary to brown.
Notes and Tips

  • You can make it with any kind of ground meat like beef, lamb or chicken
  • If you don’t have fresh thyme and oregano, you can use dry
  • I used a combination of Havarti, Parmigiano Reggiano and Sharp Cheddar. You can use the cheese of your choice



25 comments :

  1. It does look like a superb comfort food! And I love beef and potato combination...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That indeed looks soo awesome!! The first clicks looks absolutely inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love shepherds pie, well cottage pie to be precise. 2 years back i think i too made a cottage pie to welcome fall. its really cold here n i dread winter already. fall completely misses London altogether, unless you head to a park and you can see the colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow... shepherds pie looks awesome... minced meat and potatoes are such a wonderful combination...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shepherds pie looks very yummy and loved the first click...Very beautiful and tempting one..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the addition of the ginger :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. truly inviting recipe,awesome clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would definitely order that in a restaurant if its presented the way you are showing it and with that great delicious Sheppard's pie filling! Thanks for sharing, I hadn't made Sheppard's pie in ages, now I am feeling inspired. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect food for an Autumn! I wonder if I can make it with pumpkin instead of potato? Looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't tried this sheppard pie, looks delectable your pictures! U have a delightful site :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks perfectly prepared!! Your click makes it more tempting :) Loved the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore the spices you used in this + the individual portions =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful way to welcome fall!
    I love Shepherd's pie, it is indeed comfort food at its best
    Beautiful pictures as always

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks absolutely mouthwatering!!!!! Lovely clicks :)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this and your look so so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooof!! those pictures!!! they make me want to go make and eat some right NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super dooper idea girl. I love Shepard's pie and I think this is wonderful twist to the original recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. colorful and warm photographs shema :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't had a chance to make shepherds pie but it's on my list to make. Very pretty and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey shema, thank you so much for your lovely feedback on my pics and comments:). You too have great props too. I love your detailed recipes.:)..Never tried shepperds pei so far, I have to try it once, being in the English country.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been thinking of shepherd pie for a while now and I think it's time to indulge in one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tried..toooo gud chechs..tx

    ReplyDelete
  23. :) Shema, I want to give this a try. Please tell me what cheese you used when you made it with your mom. And did you substitute for Worcestershire sauce? Love all your pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seena - glad you liked this recipe. Worcestershire sauce should be available in India. Amma had it. I think we used Amul cheese

      Delete
  24. Hi Shema,
    This came out really well- spicy and delicious.
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

First of all thanks a lot for stopping by my space. I would be very happy to hear from you and would love to see your comments and feedback :)
Thanks a bunch,
Shema

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...