I made this dish during the weekend and I was really glad about it because of 2 reasons- One, the weather was just sunny and outstanding and secondly, my husband was ready to lend his hand (literally) for one of my clicks. I really love experimenting on photographs with a human touch to them instead of regular staged photos.
Now regarding the name of the dish - Murg Saagwala – Murg means chicken and Saagwala means green leaves-based dish. The chicken pieces are first marinated in a blend of spices and lemon juice and then cooked and browned after which they are dunked into a luscious thick, flavorful and creamy spinach sauce. This is a really delicious dish and I think anyone who loves Palak Paneer would surely enjoy this.
Marinade for chicken
2 .5 lb. – Chicken pieces (I used chicken breast)
1 Tbsp - Lemon Juice
2 Tsp - Chilly powder
1/2 Tsp – Turmeric powder
2 Tsp – Coriander powder
1/4 Tsp – Saunf(Fennel seeds )powder
1 Tsp – Pepper
½ Tsp - Cumin Powder
¾ Tsp – Garam Masala
Salt to taste
Ingredients for Gravy
12oz / 35ogm – Fresh Spinach
1 Tbsp - Garlic, grated
2 - Tomato
2 Cup (approx 2) - Onions
1/2 Cup - Cilantro
1 1/2 Cup - Hot Milk (Refer Notes)
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp - Ghee/Oil
1 Tbsp – Kasoori Methi
For the chicken
- Marinate the chicken pieces in the spices mentioned above and set it aside for a minimum 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and add the chicken pieces to it; cook it through until lightly browned
- Take the chicken pieces out and set aside to rest
For the Spinach Gravy
- Heat some ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan; add the chopped onions and saute mixture until it turn translucent
- Add the garlic and tomatoes; sauté until the tomatoes are really soft and mushy.
- Mix in the chopped spinach leaves and let it sweat. Do not overcook
- Once the spinach cooks take it out of the heat and allow to cool.
- Transfer the spinach along with ½ cup chopped coriander leaves to a blender or food processor and pulse to make a smooth spinach puree.
- Return the pureed spinach to the pan and add the chicken pieces along with the hot milk.
- Take 1 tablespoon of kasoori methi in between your palms and rub them with your hands to crush them. Add the powder to the dish
- Cook for 5 minutes and serve hot
Notes and Tips
- Over cooking the spinach will kill the bright green color
- Cooking the spinach sauce with ghee makes a remarkable difference so I highly recommend this
- Heat the milk before adding it to the dish to avoid curdling
- To make a rich sauce you can substitute 1.5 Cup Milk with 1 cup Milk and ½ Cup Heavy Cream.