1/2 Tsp - Mustard seeds
3 Tablespoon - Urad dal
3 - Dry Red Chilly
1/4 Tsp – Jeera / Cumin seeds
1 pinch – Hing /Asafoetida
3 - Garlic
2 - Red bell pepper, chopped
1/8 Tsp - Turmeric
1 small ball - Tamarind
1/4 Cup – Cilantro / Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add mustard seeds; let them splutter
- Add the dry red chilly, whole jeera, urad dal and sauté until the urad dal turns golden brown.
- Just before taking the pan off the heat add hing/asafetida.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender (preferably the smallest jar) and pulse it to make a fine powder.
- Heat some oil in the same pan and add garlic, curry leaves, turmeric powder and red bell pepper
- Sauté it until bell pepper is soft but do not overcook it or else the chutney will loose its red color
- Take this off the heat and let it cool
- Transfer the sautéed bell pepper mixture, cilantro, pulp of tamarind to a blender and pulse until you get a smooth mixture.
- Add the powdered urad dal mixture and pulse again.
- Serve with Dosa, Idly, Upma, Roti, Chappati or Rice
Great Leftover Tip
- If you have left over chutney, smear it over grilled bread with a slice of cheese..yummy pannini for your brown bag is ready!!!