It has been 2 weeks since Super bowl but I am still talking about it because I have yet another appetizer that I had prepared for game day that I think you all might enjoy. I usually plan my menu well in advance and this game day party was no different. I planned to make the Asian meatballs, 3-cheese spinach and artichoke dip and these bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers.
well, my friends - I present to you a mark of true grit, commitment and hard work - "bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers"
Yield: 40 appetizers
20 - Jalapeños, fresh
2 Tablespoon - Butter /Oil
4 Clove - Garlic
1 Cup - Green Onions/Scallions/ Spring Onions, sliced
8oz or 1 block - Cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1 Cup - Bread Crumbs or Panko bread crumbs
2 pounds - Bacon
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cut the jalapeños lengthwise into two and remove the seeds and membranes.
- Melt the butter in a non stick pan.
- Add the chopped garlic and saute for a minute.
- Mix in the green onions/scallions ans saute until the are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and mix well.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the bread crumbs and mix.
- Stuff each jalapeño half with cream cheese cheese mixture.
- Wrap each jalapeño with bacon and secure them with a toothpick.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Immerse the toothpicks in water. Wet toothpick wont burn during baking process
- The seeds and the membranes of the jalapeños cause the heat so make sure you get rid of them. I advice to wear gloves while cutting the jalapeños. I did not and my hands were burning for at least a couple of hours :(
- If after 20 minutes the bacon doesn't look brown enough, turn on the broiler and keep an eye on them to avoid burning.