June 8, 2011

Tamarind Fish Curry


I have always preferred fish to meat. Even if you tend to eat more ;) you don't feel really heavy and sluggish afterwards. Growing up I had fish almost daily. I really miss my mom's fish curries. I live in Cleveland and we don't get a whole lot of good fresh fish here so that is kind of disappointing. I make this curry with Tilapia fillets and I feel that its a match made in heaven!!
This fish curry is really divine full of flavour and I think you should definitely give it a try.

Ingredients
Fish - 1 pound (aprrox 0.45gms)
Tamarind - A small ball in hot water
Onions(big) - 1
Tomato(big) - 1
Curry leaves - A small bunch
Red Chilly powder - 3 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek(Uluva) powder - 1/4 tsp
Ginger - 1/2" piece
Garlic pods - 4 nos
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds (Uluva) - A pinch
Salt

Directions


  • Mix together the red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and fenugreek powder with little water, to make a smooth paste.
  • Heat oil in a pan.Add mustard seeds and when they start spluttering, add fenugreek seeds followed by the sliced onions, ginger, garlic. 
  • Add the curry leaves and the spice paste (in step1). 
  • Add the tomatoes until they soften.
  • Add tamarind extract.
  • When the water starts boiling, add the fish pieces and salt. Add enough water to cover the pieces.
  • Cook on a gentle heat. Serve with Rice. Enjoy !!




4 comments :

  1. Tried this one and it was excellent! Followed ur recipe to the letter and family loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this seems soooo yummy I am making it wednesday Will give you feedback. Had been looking for a tamarind fish curry for a while, I wanted a trusted source! Thanks for posting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Do let me know your test results :)

    ReplyDelete

First of all thanks a lot for stopping by my space. I would be very happy to hear from you and would love to see your comments and feedback :)
Thanks a bunch,
Shema

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...