I have always preferred fish to meat. Even if you tend to eat more ;) you don't feel really heavy and sluggish afterwards. Growing up I had fish almost daily. I really miss my mom's fish curries. I live in Cleveland and we don't get a whole lot of good fresh fish here so that is kind of disappointing. I make this curry with Tilapia fillets and I feel that its a match made in heaven!!
This fish curry is really divine full of flavour and I think you should definitely give it a try.
Fish - 1 pound (aprrox 0.45gms)
Tamarind - A small ball in hot water
Onions(big) - 1
Tomato(big) - 1
Curry leaves - A small bunch
Red Chilly powder - 3 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek(Uluva) powder - 1/4 tsp
Ginger - 1/2" piece
Garlic pods - 4 nos
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds (Uluva) - A pinch
- Mix together the red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and fenugreek powder with little water, to make a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add mustard seeds and when they start spluttering, add fenugreek seeds followed by the sliced onions, ginger, garlic.
- Add the curry leaves and the spice paste (in step1).
- Add the tomatoes until they soften.
- Add tamarind extract.
- When the water starts boiling, add the fish pieces and salt. Add enough water to cover the pieces.
- Cook on a gentle heat. Serve with Rice. Enjoy !!