*Re-publishing an old post with new pictures- Enjoy !!
One of the several quick-and-healthy options to jump-start your day - a healthy pancake recipe with whole wheat flour, oats and moist blueberry which happens to be one of my daughter favorite fruits.
Why You Should Eat a Healthy Breakfast???
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Breakfast provides you with the energy and nutrients that lead to increased concentration in the classroom.
- Studies show that breakfast can be important in maintaining a healthy body weight.
- Hunger sets in long before it's time for lunch, but because it's not convenient to eat properly, many people who have not eaten breakfast snack on foods that are high in fat and sugar.
- People who skip breakfast are unlikely to make up their daily requirement for some vitamins and minerals that a simple breakfast would have provided.
- Breakfast provides energy for the activities during the morning and helps to prevent that mid-morning slump.
Information adapted from www.jhsph.edu
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cup milk, plus more if necessary (Refer Notes below)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup blueberries
- Sift together flour and baking powder, set aside. Beat together the egg, milk, salt and sugar in a bowl. Stir in flour and oatmeal until just moistened, add blueberries, and stir to incorporate.
- Preheat a heavy-bottomed skillet or a nonstick pan over medium heat, and spray with cooking spray. Pour approximately 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan for each pancake. Cook until bubbly, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn, and continue cooking until golden brown.
Notes and Tips
- For thiner pancakes use more milk.
- You can use any fresh berries /other fruits /dry fruits in place of blueberries