February 8, 2012

Badam Murgh Malai / Chicken Curry with Almond Milk



After a nice, much needed but brief vacation at India and the UAE, it does seem really hard for me to get back to my old grind.  During my stay in India, I really missed my mom's delicious home-cooked delicacies because she was in Abu Dhabi helping out my sister who just had a baby girl. Yes, our family is blessed with yet another angel - Arryel, born on Dec 10, 2011. 

I finally did get to satisfy my taste buds when I stopped over at Abu Dhabi for a few days to spend with mom and my sister's family. My mother had made this simple but delicious chicken curry that I wanted to re-create. With simple ingredients and a few easy steps, this should be one for your 'Quick-Fix curries' list! 
The secret to this dish seemed to be browning the chicken well before adding the almond milk.  


Serves 8
Ingredients 
3lb - Chicken
4 Tsp - Kashmiri Chilly powder
3 Inch Ginger
12 - Large Garlic cloves
2 Tsp - Vinegar
1 - Large Red Onion, Sliced
1 - Large Potato
20 - Almonds
2 Cups - Milk (use more if you want more gravy for the dish)
Curry leaves
Coconut Oil
Salt
1 Tbsp - Fresh Cream (optional)


Directions
  • Grind the ginger and garlic into a fine paste. You should be getting approximately 5 tablespoons of ginger-garlic paste. 
  • Marinate the chicken with the ginger garlic paste, chilly powder, vinegar and salt and keep it for an hour.
  • Heat coconut oil in a non stick pan. Add sliced onions, potato, curry leaves and the marinated chicken
  • Cook until the chicken is cooked through and browned. Browning the chicken is necessary in order to achieve the desired taste.
  • While the chicken is cooking, take the almonds in a microwave-safe bowl, add enough water to immerse the nuts and cook for 90 secs. Take out and let it cool. You should be able to peel the almond skin off easily now.
  • Take the peeled almonds and grind it into a fine paste by adding water.
  • Add the almond paste and milk to the browned chicken.
  • Garnish with Julienned ginger.
Notes and Tips
  • Use fresh ginger garlic paste
  • You may substitute the almond milk with coconut milk
  • Brown the chicken well before adding the almond milk
  • Use coconut oil for a unique flavor



5 comments :

  1. Very delicious,moms recipes are always d best!!
    Welcome back,Shema & Congrats to big mommy,Lovely name of the baby!!

    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shema,
    You mentioned about using Almond milk in the recipe. Is it ok to use the ready made Silk Almond milk or will the curry turn out sweet. Planning to try this tomorrow:)

    Thanks
    Charmaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Charmaine,
    I think it will be fine if you use unsweetened Silk almond milk. Let me know how it turns out :)
    Thanks,
    Shema

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi shema,

    Just went through your wonderful space.You have done a great job. I am a happy follower of u.
    Do visit mine at your free space. :)

    www.recipeworld1.blogspot.com

    Thanks
    Sarika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shem,

    This recipe is awesome! You are right the browning was key in making this dish tasty! I used almond milk (unsweetened) and mashed the potato (sweet potato) to make it creamier.

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    Olivia

    ReplyDelete

First of all thanks a lot for stopping by my space. I would be very happy to hear from you and would love to see your comments and feedback :)
Thanks a bunch,
Shema

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...