February 7, 2014

Irresistible Baked 3 Cheese Spinach and Artichoke Dip


Here is another appetizer that was part of my super bowl spread last weekend. Spinach and Artichoke dip just has be in the list of my fave vegetarian appetizers. The rich, delicious sauce is a blend of 3 cheeses : mozzarella, cream cheese and pepper jack. Some of my friends have mentioned that they notice a disproportionately light share of vegetarian recipes so this one is dedicated to you all!! I did make another meaty appetizer for the party but I wanted to post a veggie one first so that I don't portray myself as too carnivorous ;)


If you like this dip then you might like the Spinach and Egg Casserole too that I had posted a while ago. That is one dish that always makes it to our table at least once during the Lenten season. 



Before going onto the recipe I just wanted to share something with you without sounding too philosophical . I recently saw a movie and in it the actor said something that really struck me - "You are the sum of your experiences". Sneak peek into your lives...isnt that so true? Ah well..here goes...



Yields an 8 inch round baking dish
Ingredients
2 Tablespoons - Butter/ Oil
4 cloves - garlic, grated
1 cup - Onion, chopped
One 6oz bag - Fresh spinach leaves, chopped
14 oz - Artichoke hearts in water
1/2 Teaspoon  - Pepper
Salt, to taste
For cheese sauce
3 Tablespoons - Butter
4 tablespoons - All-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups - Milk
4 oz- Cream cheese
1 Cup - Pepper jack cheese, grated
3/4 Cup - Mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 Teaspoon  - Pepper
Salt, to taste
Topping
1/2 Cup - Mozzarella cheese, grated

Directions
  • Take a heavy bottomed skillet and melt the butter.
  • Add garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
  • Add onions and saute them until they become translucent.
  • Add spinach and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  • Cook spinach until most of the water from spinach evaporates
  • Add artichokes and then cook for another 2-3 minutes
  • Take the skillet of the heat and set it aside
  • For the cheese sauce, melt butter in a pan.
  • Add the flour and whisk to form a paste/ roux and cook for a minute. This takes out the raw taste of the flour
  • Pour milk into the roux whisking it continuously in order to avoid lumps of flour.
  • Simmer the mixture until the sauce thickens
  • Add cream cheese, pepper jack and mozzarella and mix well
  • Season with salt and pepper
  • Mix in the spinach artichoke mixture and transfer it to a baking dish
  • Top with grated mozzarella cheese and bake at 350F for 20 minutes.
  • If you want your cheese to brown on top, turn of the broiler for 2-5 minutes
  • Serve warm with your favorite chips

15 comments :

  1. That is a great cheesy looking dip. I am sure it was enjoyed thoroughly. Like you've paired it with artichokes.
    Shema, the pictures are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow so cheesy and yum.prefect appetiser :-) amazing clicks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous clicks Shema ! I love that basket too !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This can't be anything but uber delish and irresistible of course! Gorgeous pictures Shema!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dip looks super decadent...I could not be around it because I would have eaten simply by spoonfuls or over toasts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't wait for a football game to make this. I think I'll make it tonight and call some friends over for a come-as-you-are party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i need some of this in my life. ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous clicks and yummy dip...I bet u guys might have had a blast watching Super bowl with all that good food you made..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I need any chips just a spoon would do :)) I have tried a similar recipe sometime back with artichoke & crab meat. Seriously very addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...Awesome clicks....Dip looks irresistable Shema...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so love that quote - We most definitely are a sum of our experiences! And experiencing this cheese and spinach dip must have been one wonderful experience indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Irresistible dip paired with gorgeous photos. Fabulous job, Shema.

    ReplyDelete
  13. shemaaaa... i tried this dip a couple of days back when i had some friends over and it was a hit. Everyone loved it. I served it with some garlic bread. Im also thinking this would be a great sauce for a pasta bake :)
    Thanks for the recipe. Everything was spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A fabulous dip! So scrumptious looking/sounding.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are going to make this for the 2016 SuperBowl!

    ReplyDelete

First of all thanks a lot for stopping by my space. I would be very happy to hear from you and would love to see your comments and feedback :)
Thanks a bunch,
Shema

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...