August 24, 2011

Yellow Squash and Zucchini with Coconut (Thenga Kothu)


I like to try out seasonal vegetable and now its the season for summer squashes like yellow Squash and Zucchini,especially out here in the North East US. This inspired me to make this simple, yet flavorful dish.
When I first came to the US, I used to miss the myriad variety of vegetables that we used to get back in India and felt that the choices here were limited. But I was totally wrong. I realize now that due to the four different seasons and large range of climatic variations here, we actually get a whole variety of different fresh seasonal vegetables.
This blog is a platform for me to share some of my ideas and experiments especially with uncommon vegetables and ingredients not typically used in Indian kitchens.  Please try out these vegetables as I am sure you will enjoy them for their full-flavor, health benefits and the variety they offer. I will definitely try to post more recipes so stay tuned in ..Bon Appetit!!!

Serves 4

Ingredients
2 - Yellow squash
2- Zucchini
1/2 - Medium Onion (sliced)
3 - Garlic cloves (finely minced)
1/2 C - Coconut Pieces (Thenga Kothu)
3/4 Tsp - Red Chilly Powder
1/4 Tsp - Turmeric Powder
1/4 Tsp - Jeera powder
Oil
Salt
Few curry leaves

Directions
Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add garlic followed by onions. Saute until the onions are soft. Add red chilly powder, turmeric and jeera. Saute for 2 mins. Add the squash, zucchini, curry leaves, salt and coconut. Mix well. Keep the pan covered for 10 mins on medium low fire.Check in between to prevent the vegetables from burning or sticking onto your pan. DO NOT ADD WATER TO COOK. These vegetables will give out water which will help them cook. Remove the lid and cook on medium high until all the water is absorbed. Enjoy with Rice, Roti, Quinoa or Pita!!

1 comment :

  1. I tried this out today, and loved it!

    I really like your idea of using of fresh, seasonal and unconventional vegetables in a very Indian way. Thanks for sharing them.

    Reshmi

    ReplyDelete

First of all thanks a lot for stopping by my space. I would be very happy to hear from you and would love to see your comments and feedback :)
Thanks a bunch,
Shema

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...