November 2, 2011

Soba Noodles - The Indo-chinese way


Soba noodles is a healthy and thin buckwheat based version of our typical noodle and is brown in color.
Americanised chinese food is usually sweet compared to the Indo-chinese version that we get in India, which is spicier. I love the Indo-Chinese version as I don't usually relish a too sweet entree

Growing up in Bangalore (India), my father used to take us to Chinese restaurants frequently. I used to be a very choosy eater but as soon we sat down at a restaurant my appetite used to turn really voracious, like I had never seen food in my entire life :) Seeing my sudden appetite, my father used to say  "I think we should get her married to a chef, that way she will never sleep hungry" ..LOL that was funny as I still remember him saying that with a smile on his face.

Another thing that comes to mind while thinking of noodles is that I have this funny notion that it is just not a guy kind of dish ..hehehe... I know, a strange one right! I love noodles and so does my daughter but my husband says its very difficult and messy to eat especially when you are dining out. I always tell him not to be conscious of people looking and to just imitate me - dig into the yummy pile of noodles with your fork and twirl around to make a nest of noddles which you then gobble up, slurping in any strays as you work your way through, totally oblivious of  who might be watching ..hehehe..I know..bad manners right ;)..but anything for a good bowl of noodles :)


Serves 6

Ingredients
6 oz (180gm approx) - Buckwheat Noodles
2 Cup - Cooked chicken / Rotisserie Chicken, cubed or Tofu for veggie version
1 Cup - Celery, chopped
1 1/2 Cup - Carrot, julienne
2 Cup - Cabbage, sliced
1 Cup - Broccoli
10 cloves - Garlic, finely chopped
1 cm - Fresh ginger, very finely chopped
1/2 Cup - Onion, chopped
3 - Dry Red chilly
2 - Eggs
3 Tbsp - Soy sauce (Buy a brand that is MSG free and has lower sodium)
2 Tbsp - Tomato Ketchup
1 Tbsp - Chilly sauce
Salt, Pepper as per taste
4 slice - Bacon (optional)
Oil

Directions
  • Cook the noodles as per the instruction on the box. Strain the noodle and rinse it with fresh cold water. This prevents them from sticking to each other. Keep it aside
  • In a bowl, beat the eggs and add about 2 tablespoons of water and salt. In a non-stick pan add oil and pour the egg just enough to make a thin layer on the frying pan. Cook the omelet on both sides before taking it out. Cut the omelet into thin strips with a kitchen shear. Repeat the process with the rest of the egg mixture.
  • In a Wok / Kadai, add some oil and chopped bacon and saute until the bacon is crisp. Take the bacon out, keeping it aside and reserve the fat to continue your cooking. If you are not using bacon then add some olive oil to the Wok/ Kadai, add red chilly and saute it for 1 minute.
  • Add garlic, ginger and onions and saute until the onions are translucent
  • Add carrots, cabbage and celery and saute. Don't over cook the vegetables lest they loose their crunch, color and nutrients
  • Mix in the broccoli and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
  • Add the cooked noddles to the pan.
  • Add tomato ketchup, soy sauce, chilly sauce and stir well.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste
  • Add the eggs and bacon.

Tips and Notes
  • The best way to cook Chicken Breast is to rub it with some salt, pepper and garlic powder and bake in the oven until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165F. Once cooked, cover it with aluminium foil and allow the meat to rest for at least 10-15 mins before cutting it. Cut the chicken into cubes and use it for your recipe. Store the rest of the meat in Ziploc bags in the freezer. This way you will always have cooked chicken in stock and you can add it to all your favourite recipes.
  • You can make the veggie version of this noodles too. Just skip the chicken, bacon and egg and add Tofu in its place.
  • Soba noodles can be substituted with any other variety of noodles
  • After cooking and straining the noodles, rinse it with fresh cold water. This prevents them from sticking to each other
  • Carefully add salt if needed after adding the soy sauce (which is usually pretty salty) 

6 comments :

  1. Absolutely fab flavors ~ so srummy it looks!
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  2. ayyo!!! njan ithu kandillayirunnu kto Shema..sorry :(..
    I think version sounds and luks more yummier than mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow..adipoli restaurant style,looks yummy n lovely clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adipoli...Looks very tempting! This one is in my must- try list.
    I too love noodles from Chinese restaurants :)

    -Sijo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can finsh the whole plate of noodles, looks very delicious. Lovely pictures too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shema,

    my 1st visit to lifescoops and I am so fond of it now. Amazing clicks and good recipe. I will try once I get all ingredients.

    Do browse through my blog - http://aromaticencounters.wordpress.com/ when you are free.

    ~Rashmi

    ReplyDelete

First of all thanks a lot for stopping by my space. I would be very happy to hear from you and would love to see your comments and feedback :)
Thanks a bunch,
Shema

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...